WinRescue Boot disk not working October 19th, 2021, 1:53am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Super Win Software programs    WinRescue  ›  WinRescue Boot disk not working

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    WinRescue Boot disk not working
magik
Posted: May 21st, 2007, 4:00pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I recently needed my emergency boot disk created with WinRescue XP, but it failed to run properly.  All the screen showed is some bits and pieces of pictures.  After my computer was restored through other means, I made new boot disks (booting to dos and xp) and tried them out with the same result.  I've been a faithful user of WinRescue and your other products from day one and they have never failed.  I'm at a loss because I'm essentially unprotected.  I have tested the floppy drive and it works fine.  I have the latest version of WinXP and WinRescure and all my drivers are current.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Always feel safer with my handy emergency disks.
Posted: May 22nd, 2007, 6:16am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I cannot tell from your description what is wrong.  It could be a bad diskette or a number of other things.  Are you using floppy diskettes or CD?
   Our instructions say to try the diskette out after you make it.
e-mail Reply: 1 - 6
magik
Posted: May 22nd, 2007, 6:33am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I am using 3 1/2 disks.  The drive is accessed and goes through what appears to be a read but utilmately the result is a display of some colored graphics on the computer screen and no action on any data.  The disks are ok.  I've tested them for other things as well as using several new ones. This is the first time I have ever needed the WinRescue XP disks which were dated a couple of years ago.  I've made several test disks since and none have worked.  Perhaps I've confused somehow WinRescueXP and WinRescue98 in my program files.  I'll download a new copy of WinRescueXP and start completely from scratch.
e-mail Reply: 2 - 6
magik
Posted: May 22nd, 2007, 10:25am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I downloaded a new version of WinRescueXP and created new disks.  The disk booting in WinXP works fine.  The Dos Boot disk has error message "ResLay.ini file not found".  Checking the A:\ directory it is not there.  I think my copy of WinRescue may have been corrupted at some time and it created a disk with some built in errors.  (By the way, I can tell now that the colors displayed randomly on my screen with the damaged boot disk was part of the windows logo.)  I'm pleased to at least have the WinXP boot disk up and running.
e-mail Reply: 3 - 6
Posted: May 22nd, 2007, 2:51pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

The problem is that your hard drive is NTFS (as opposed to FAT or FAT32).  The DOS boot disk uses MSDOS.  MSDOS is not compatible with NTFS and so it cannot read the NTFS harddrive.  If you put a DOS that is compatible with NTFS, like NTFS4DOS or NTFSDOS, on the DOS boot disk, it will work.
   Another way to go would be to make a boot CD with our program, XP Recovery CD Maker (http://www.xp-recovery-cd.com).  XP Recovery CD Maker will only work if your Windows came with a i386 folder in the Windows directory or if you have a Windows CD.
e-mail Reply: 4 - 6
magik
Posted: May 22nd, 2007, 3:48pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thanks.  Makes sense.  Good to have my XP boot disk.  Unfortunately my computer boots to the floppy.  I would love to have the ability to boot to an optical drive.  I test drove XP Recover CD maker a while back and it was unsuccessful, presumably because I can only start on the floppy.

I do not have original windows disks.  Windows was installed on the computer harddrive and I foolishly never sent off for the disks.  That is why I rely so heavily on WinRescueXP.  If you know any tips to be able to boot from a cd, I'd be interested.  I've read that I cannot do a clean install of Vista (formating my harddrive, etc) unless I boot to a cd.    
e-mail Reply: 5 - 6
Posted: May 24th, 2007, 4:05am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Whether it boots to a CD or not is determined by the settings of BIOS.  You can enter BIOS and change the settings so that it also boots to CD.  You would make the boot order to be diskette, CD, harddrive.  When you first boot up your computer, the screen should tell you what keys to press in order to enter BIOS (sometimes called Setup).
e-mail Reply: 6 - 6
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    WinRescue  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules