WinRescue blocked by Vista October 19th, 2021, 3:39am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Super Win Software programs    WinRescue  ›  WinRescue blocked by Vista

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    WinRescue blocked by Vista
nigelb
Posted: July 8th, 2007, 12:22pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Evening all
Anyone have any tips about getting around the dreaded UAC in Vista Home Premium?
Every time I restart the PC it tells me that Win Rescue Vista is blocked from running in the startup.
I allow it each time and each time I restart it's the same thing. This is the only programme (so far) that has this problem.
I have tried to allow it by right clicking the programme and hitting properties and running the programme as an administrator which is a tip I saw elsewhere, but this changes nothing.
Thanks
Nigel (UK)
Posted: July 8th, 2007, 1:57pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Check and see if it is in your startup folder. If it isn't, drag a shortcut to it there.
That should solve the problem.
e-mail Reply: 1 - 9
Posted: July 9th, 2007, 4:06am Report to Moderator
Guest User

It is Windows Defender that is blocking WinRescue.  It blocks everything in the Startup folder that has not been preapproved by Windows.  This is one of the features of Vista.  The only way around this is to remove Windows Defender from startup.
   My guess (and this is purely a guess) as to why this happens with our programs is that our programs are not approved by Windows (you know, that logo that says something like this program approved to run in Windows Vista).  We tried jumping through all of the hoops that Microsoft lined out, but we missed one (we paid a lot of money to sign the files with a signature from a valid company listed on Microsoft's website but then they changed their requirements to only allow signatures from a more expensive company).  I have talked on the phone with Microsoft about this and they say that they can do nothing about it.  I suspect that they get a kickback from this more expensive company and so they refuse to allow any other signature companies.
e-mail Reply: 2 - 9
nigelb
Posted: July 10th, 2007, 11:44am Report to Moderator
Guest User

dlwolff0 - thanks, but it is in the start folder already.

Ray - yes, that makes perfect sense.
Thanks.
Pity it couldn't be resolved
e-mail Reply: 3 - 9
Posted: July 11th, 2007, 3:00am Report to Moderator
Guest User

You would think that Microsoft would allow you to pick and choose which items to allow, but they don't.
   You can remove Windows Defender from startup and then that will not happen.  In WinXP, Windows Defender is not run at startup.
e-mail Reply: 4 - 9
nigelb
Posted: July 11th, 2007, 4:22am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Yes, you would, but that's Microsoft for you.
Presumably then you have to load WD manually if you wish to use it?
Is WD worth using anyway if you have other anti-spyware, anti-virus, firewall protection?
e-mail Reply: 5 - 9
nigelb
Posted: July 11th, 2007, 11:37am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Doesn't appear to make any difference anyway.
I deactivated WD using MSCONFIG, but WR is still blocked on start up, so I guess it's something that those of us dumb enough to use Vista will have to live with!
e-mail Reply: 6 - 9
Posted: July 11th, 2007, 3:58pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

If it is being blocked by WD, you did not deactivate WD.  It is possible that Windows will not let you deactivate WD through MSConfig or something like that.
   I do not have Vista anymore, so I can't look and see whether that is true or not.  I do know that when I had Vista, that I removed WD from startup and WR started at startup.
e-mail Reply: 7 - 9
nigelb
Posted: July 12th, 2007, 1:02am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thanks Ray - I am not sure it's WD that is blocking it. You get a pop up in the tray that says WR is blocked. When you click on help it pops this up:

"User Account Control prevents programs that require permission or an administrator password from running automatically when Windows starts. If a program is blocked, you'll see a message in the notification area that says some startup programs need permission to run. You can run a blocked program, remove blocked programs from startup, or ignore the notification."

I don't use a password  and I have tried allowing the programme as an administrator and there seems to be no way to prevent the blocking, only to allow the programme each time:

"To run a blocked program
Right-click the Blocked startup programs icon in the notification area."

"Click Run blocked program, and then click the name of the program you want to run.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation."

"To remove a blocked program from startup
You can remove a blocked program from startup so that it won't try to run automatically each time you start Windows. Removing the program from startup won't remove the program from your computer."

"Notes
If a program that you want to run at startup is being blocked, check the publisher's website to see if there is an updated version of the program available that doesn't require permission or an administrator password to run."

Ridiculous Vista! Strange that WR is the only prog which has this problem

Nigel

e-mail Reply: 8 - 9
Posted: July 12th, 2007, 8:59am Report to Moderator
Guest User

That sounds like Windows Defender to me (as I said, I no longer have Vista and so I can't check it out for sure).  My Windows Defender blocked all of the startup items, not just WinRescue.
   You mentioned the User Account Control (UAC).  There are setting in the UAC that you can change to control how restrictive Vista is.  Maybe there is a setting there that is affecting this.
e-mail Reply: 9 - 9
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    WinRescue  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules