Web browsing content issues, please help! September 24th, 2020, 7:05pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Internet  ›  Web browsing content issues, please help!

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Web browsing content issues, please help!
alishabrunett
Posted: April 12th, 2007, 2:20pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I have a problem with undersireable video content showing up in my user history, and wesites being listed in my cache that have never been viewed or visited by myself or anyone in my household.  How is this possible?  Could it be some sort of spware / adware?  (yes, these sites were once being viewed, but have not been lately)

How can this be fixed?
Posted: April 12th, 2007, 9:21pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

In Internet Explorer, click on tools and choose Internet Options.
On the General tab, under Browsing History, select Delete.
If you have any passwords to sites that are set to log in automatically, you need to find out what the passwords are because this will delete them also.
Click the settings button and set the days to save the list of websites visited to zero to remove all sites from the browser cache or to some number of days less than the last time the offending sites were viewed. [Default is 20 days, but can be set even higher- which is why old sites show up.]
Don't forget to click OK at the bottom of the window. Changes will take effect, when the browser is restarted.
e-mail Reply: 1 - 8
alishabrunett
Posted: April 13th, 2007, 9:20am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Indeed I have tried deleting both the cache and history several times, it does not seem to be helping.

My husband has suggested that there is some sort of program that is doing this though I am a bit suspect since the content only seems to show up on his user account(we run XP home as our OS).  He claims he has not been visiting said websites, and yet there is still stuff showing up!  Would it be possible for malicious software to target only one user account?  I would have thought that my browser would also be showing up with this stuff as well!

The really odd part about it is that most of what I have found in the IE history is video content only and no links to specific sites. though I have found some files leading to specific sites left in IE's cache / temp. internet files.  We also run firefox, and though nothing shows up in firefox's history (at all), there are loads os sites showing up in the cache. Will a commercial website blocker prevent this in the future?  Can you suggest any??  I am fed up with wondering what is going on!  LOL

Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep trying.  
e-mail Reply: 2 - 8
Posted: April 13th, 2007, 7:10pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

To check for possible malicious programs, go to this link.

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/security_response/index.jsp

On the right side of the page, below the listing of potential threats, run the  Symantec security check. Some other antivirus websites have similar free checking tools. This one covers a wide range of threats.

In Internet options, under the content tab, you can specify content that will be blocked from being viewed on the computer.
e-mail Reply: 3 - 8
Posted: April 14th, 2007, 3:29am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I have never heard of malicious software that runs video files.  The only explanation I can think of for that happening is that someone is watching those videos and deleting the individual websites in History.
   If my wife found something like that on her computer (just her and the kids use her computer), one of our kids would be in trouble.
   There are all kinds of web content blockers out there.  They should be able to also block video files from being watched.  I have never used any and so I cannot recommend any.
   We do have one called My Nabyoo Clean Zone in the Other Software section of our website at http://www.superwin.com/fothersoft.htm.  Nabyoo is not produced by us and I have never used it, so I don't know whether it is good or not.
e-mail Reply: 4 - 8
Posted: April 15th, 2007, 2:10am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Hello, there must be something going on in your home... this is just not possible in any other way. Someone is using the computer, looking at video files and then not knowing to delete also the track/trace that is left on the computer. This person is in your home! Some serious discussion could be in place.
e-mail Reply: 5 - 8
alishabrunett
Posted: April 16th, 2007, 11:18am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Still working on the problem, I have heard some mixed replies about such things being possible.  I wish there were some way to remove everythng from my hard drives (I have 4) but keep certain files, old documents etc. without having to worry about what the files might carry back over with them.  Thanks for all your replies!  

-Still searching for answers  
e-mail Reply: 6 - 8
Posted: April 16th, 2007, 1:23pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Antivirus programs will detect if there is a virus.  I would suggest that you use one to see if there is a virus on your computer (but I assure you that no virus puts video files on your computer).  If there is no virus, there is no problem with the files "carrying back over" anything.
   It sounds like someone has given you some misinformation about viruses and what they do.  If you don't believe me, please go on the internet and do some research about viruses.  Don't just listen to hearsay.
e-mail Reply: 7 - 8
alishabrunett
Posted: April 16th, 2007, 1:52pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Advice heard and taken.  I am looking into as many of the antivirus and ad / spy-ware removal programs out there.  I hope to solve things here with one of those.

Thanks again!

e-mail Reply: 8 - 8
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Internet  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules