wireless router October 29th, 2020, 10:45pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Internet  ›  wireless router

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    wireless router
wallygrove
Posted: May 30th, 2007, 10:35am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I use the Cingular wireless modem card and have read about having a wireless router to help increase download and surfing speed. Is the router used in addition to my wireless card or as a replacement?
Posted: May 30th, 2007, 1:05pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I am not familiar with the Cingular wireless modem card, but I do know what a router is.
   A router is like a hub.  It is used to connect two or more computers together.  The router cannot replace the modem and so it would be in addition to the wireless card.
   The modem connects you to the internet.  Without it you will not be able to connect to the internet.  The modem can be connected directly to your computer or it can connect into a router or hub to which one or more computers are connected.  
   The difference between a hub and a router is that a hub is transparent and just distributes the signal to the connected computers.  A signal coming in from the internet does not see the hub but instead sees the computers hooked up to it.
   A router on the other hand puts up a wall between the internet and connected computers.  A signal coming in from the internet only sees the router (to the internet it looks to be a computer).  The router then distributes the signal to the computers attached to it.
   If you want to connect several computers to one internet account, you should use a router, so that the internet company will only see the one router (this is allowable by internet companies).  If instead you connect them through a hub or disconnect one and connect the other computer directly to the modem, the internet company will only recognize the one computer that is first set up with it.  It will not recognize the other computers unless you get separate accounts for them or have the internet company reset the account to the other computer (in which case, it will not recognize the first computer).
   The university where my daugher attends requires all students hooked up to their network to use hubs and not routers because they want to be able to detect (and charge) everyone who is on the network.
   A router can provide added protection because anyone trying to hack into your computer from the internet will have to hack through the router first (you should change the password in your router from the default password to make it harder on hackers).  For this reason even though a router is not needed to hook up one computer to your wireless modem, using a router will provide added security.
e-mail Reply: 1 - 2
wallygrove
Posted: May 30th, 2007, 5:41pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thanks Ray. My question is answered.
e-mail Reply: 2 - 2
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Internet  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules