DSL connection to new computer September 28th, 2020, 7:57pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Internet  ›  DSL connection to new computer

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    DSL connection to new computer
Posted: June 12th, 2007, 3:02pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Hi folks, My computer with an Abit AN8 SLI MOBO will not talk to a Trendnet 452BRP wireless router. The router is cabled to the main computer which has onboard LAN. After doing much research on the internet I am more edcuated but no closer to a solution. The network connection is enabled in the bios. I would be very thankful for suggestions on how to configure this so I get on the internet with this speedy machine.
Thanks  
Posted: June 12th, 2007, 8:32pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Exactly how do you have this network setup?
The new computer has a gigabyte ethernet chip on the mobo, according to the specs on the Abit web site. This has to be connected to something so the computer can communicate with the network.
Alternatively, you can disable the onboard chip and add a wireless adapter so the computer can talk directly to the router.
e-mail Reply: 1 - 4
Posted: June 13th, 2007, 2:30am Report to Moderator
Guest User

A cable will run from the new computer onboard ethernet to the wireless router. The desktop computer I am using now will not be networked with the new one. The new one will replace it. The wireless router is here for a notebook computer only. My present wired config. is: DSL modem > wireless router > desktop NIC (SPC Yahoo supplied). When I unplug the network cable from my present desktop unit and plug it into the new computer I cannot get the router and computer to communicate regardless of what I do. Running the XP network setup wizard is no dice. No additional security measures have been implemented except that which came with the router. Running the SPC Yahoo install CD is my very last option as it fills the computer with bloatware and hijacks my browser.

A hearty Thank You for your time and effort! I really appreciate it.  
e-mail Reply: 2 - 4
Posted: June 13th, 2007, 7:04pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Looks like you may have to change the SSID [network name].
See this web page for complete instructions.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworking/ht/routerconfigure.htm

Best of luck.
e-mail Reply: 3 - 4
Posted: June 15th, 2007, 4:19am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Problem solved. This is my first go at assembling a computer and something very necessary was left out. The device manager listed no network. Something important was missing. Going back to Abit's web site (again) I looked closer at driver downloads for this mobo. Not having a driver disc I was blithely unware of it's importance at the time - then the fog started to lift. The onboard ethernet could only be enabled by the nforce4 chipset driver. Running the new connection wizard with the driver installed put me in business. This is a blunder I will not repeat.

Thanks for trying to help me out of this dlwolff0. Are you shaking your head in amused disbelief like me?      
e-mail Reply: 4 - 4
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Internet  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules