Wireless Laptop in France September 23rd, 2020, 1:12am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Internet  ›  Wireless Laptop in France

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Wireless Laptop in France
Posted: July 25th, 2007, 9:56am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I am shortly going to France for six months to work and would really like to receive and send emails from a wireless laptop or PC as there is no telephone connection at the place I shall be. Can you please tell me if I can still use my virginmedia provider or would I have to sign up with a french provider?
Posted: July 25th, 2007, 1:25pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I do not know about virginmedia whether they are in france or not.  You should be able to find that out from virginmedia by going to their website or calling them.
   I have travelled some and many times there are free wireless hotspots where you can connect to the internet.  In these cases, all you have to do is turn on your computer, search for wireless networks, and hook up.
   If it connects but you still cannot get on the internet, try opening your browser.  Sometimes these networks will require you to log in first through your browswer.  If this is the case, the browser will open on their website.  If it is free, it will not ask for your credit card information.  If you give your credit card information, don't be surprised when they charge your credit card.
   If you know someone in france where you are going, you might want to ask them about connecting to the internet using wireless.  They may be able to give you more details about that.
e-mail Reply: 1 - 4
Posted: July 25th, 2007, 3:38pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thank you Ray you have been a great help
Ted
e-mail Reply: 2 - 4
hoover
Posted: July 27th, 2007, 9:30am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Cybercafes and similar establishments are frequently found in all but the smallest villages in France, so it's not even necessaqry to take your own computer with you if you only want to use email.  Many will let you plug in your own laptop.

Many hotels will also allow you to plug in or use their wi-fi but not all wiothout charge. That's also the case with bars, resturants that have wi-fi.

If you don't live on the European continent and take your own computer, you will have to buy a fairly inexpensive mains adaptor but ensure your charger will work on 110 volts, AC.  
e-mail Reply: 3 - 4
Posted: July 28th, 2007, 5:08am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thank you, hoover.  Good information.
   I just wanted to clarify what hoover meant by "mains adaptor".  I think that he is talking about an adaptor for the power cord to plug into European electric outlets.  If I remember correctly, European outlets have two round holes while US outlets have two rectangular slots.  You will need an adaptor to allow your plug to plug into their outlet.
   Also the voltage is different than in the US (220 instead of 110), so be sure to check the back of your computer or the power cord to ensure that it will handle 220 volts.  Older computers may have a switch to switch from 110 to 220.  Newer computers switch automatically.  If your computer accepts 220, it will say something like, Output: 110-240V.
e-mail Reply: 4 - 4
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Internet  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules