dialup through wireless router September 24th, 2020, 6:30pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Internet  ›  dialup through wireless router

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    dialup through wireless router
angelb4o
Posted: November 18th, 2007, 2:26pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I now have a desktop computer that I acess the internet through dialup.  I'm getting a laptop that has "Wifi" and would like to use the laptop throughout the house.  Is it possible to hook up a wireless router with a phone line to my desktop,  in order to send a wireless connection to my laptop?  Thanks, Jim
Posted: November 20th, 2007, 8:37am Report to Moderator
Guest User

The short answer is no, you cannot hook up a phone line to a wireless router.
   Theoretically, you could hook up your desktop computer to the wireless router and then access the desktop computer from your laptop and use the desktop to go online.  I say theoretically because I don't think Windows allows you to do that.  If you had software that allowed to run your desktop computer from your laptop, then I think that you could use the dialup on the desktop computer to access the internet through the wireless router but I would think that it would be awkward and very slow.
e-mail Reply: 1 - 2
bearclaw_5
Posted: December 2nd, 2007, 9:00am Report to Moderator
Guest User

If you add a second NIC card to the main computer and enable Internet shareing, you can connect the router and make it work. You would need to leave the dialup connected at all times, or go to that machine and log on before trying to use the Internet on the laptop.
e-mail Reply: 2 - 2
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Internet  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules