internet connection problem September 28th, 2020, 6:18pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Internet  ›  internet connection problem

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    internet connection problem
Posted: December 30th, 2007, 11:07am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I use Cox cable for my ISP, connecting through a cable modem.  I have a Linksys router and 2 PCs on the network  I am getting intermittent disconnects from the net.  I have called Cox tech support, and they are telling me that the router is the problem.  I replaced the router, but the problem persists.  I called Linksys tech support and they are telling me that the problem is with the cable modem.  I am being whipsawed and it still does not work right.  Does anyone know of some software that monitors and logs these network disconnects and identifies the culprit?  Has anyone encountered similar problems?  HELP!!!!!
Posted: December 30th, 2007, 1:45pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Try Network Magic trial version.
http://www.networkmagic.com/
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
Posted: January 1st, 2008, 2:19pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

One of the problems with cable internet is that the signal can easily be corrupted.  An old connection anywhere between the pole and your modem can cause problems.  It will not effect your cable TV.
   So if it is not your router or modem, it could be a connection.  I had similar problems for years.  The cable guy would come out and replace filters, it would start working, but in a month or so, it would go back down.  He had equipment to monitor the connection, but it didn't help.  Finally, one day he replaced a connection above my back door where the cable goes out to the pole.  It looked fine, but he said that he had replaced everything else, so he might as well try replacing that connection.  I never had any problems after that.
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
Northe
Posted: January 6th, 2008, 7:44am Report to Moderator
Guest User

At least here in Southern Arizona (south of Tucson), Cox was having widespread disconnect problems and, according to technical support, it was the result of the particular integrated wireless modem/routers that they were installing. They replaced my (COX customized) Linksys unit with a Netgear CG814WGv2, did a reinstall of the InstaLAN program for the new router, and the problem was solved.

With the old modem/router if the connection went down, I'd have to do a reboot and it _might_ reconnect. With this Netgear unit the connection will sometimes go down, and it will reconnect by itself. I assume that the problem was with the modem part rather than the router part.

Northe
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Internet  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules