Keep losing internet connection/Dial-up September 22nd, 2020, 11:16pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Internet  ›  Keep losing internet connection/Dial-up

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Keep losing internet connection/Dial-up
Posted: April 27th, 2008, 1:43pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I keep losing my connection, every 5 min. or so. Please Help! I have a dial-up connection. I've called tech support & they say it's my modem. I know it's not my modem, I've changed it 12 times, same thing, I know 12 modems can't all be bad. Any Ideas???????????????????????
Posted: April 27th, 2008, 5:36pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

If it is not the modem, I would suspect a bad phone line.
e-mail Reply: 1 - 7
Posted: April 27th, 2008, 6:51pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I just had the phone co. come out. They replaced all the lines from the main pole to my computer. My next door neighbors line runs to the same pole & he has no problem. I don't know what to do.
e-mail Reply: 2 - 7
Posted: April 28th, 2008, 9:56am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Another possibility is that the dialup number is overloaded with too many users or their connection is not good.  Ask someone else who also uses that dialup service to see if they also have problems.

You may need to consider a different internet provider.  I would suggest calling the dialup company one last time and tell them that either they figure out why you are getting disconnected or you are taking your business elsewhere.
e-mail Reply: 3 - 7
Posted: April 28th, 2008, 11:05am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Yes I totally agree with you Ray! The only problem is, Moutnet is the only local internet service provider in this hick town, It's through Scott County Telephone Co. & It's the only Phone Co. in this area. So I guess I'm just Screwed. Thanks Ray for all your help.                                                                                                                                  David
e-mail Reply: 4 - 7
Posted: April 29th, 2008, 11:29am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Another possibility that came to mind is if the internal wiring is faulty.  Maybe you have too many phones hooked up to the phone line.  If you have a lot of phones, try disconnecting some.  Also make sure that the computer is hooked in directly to the phone line and not through other devices (like a fax machine or answering machine).
   If it is none of the above, I would suspect the phone company and their lines.
   I understand your plight.  I live near a hick town and my only choices are Dialup through the local phone company and Satellite.  I tried Dialup but it was sooooo slow.  I switched to satellite but it is not much faster.  So I am also stuck with what is available.
   Satellite through Wildblue (http://www.wildblue.com) should be available for you too (I am assuming that you are in the US).  They are $50 a month.  When dealing with Wildblue try to find a dealer near you (in the next hick town) and order through him instead of ordering through the national company.  Service will be quicker through a local dealer.
e-mail Reply: 5 - 7
Posted: April 30th, 2008, 12:31am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Yes I can get WildBlue,but they want $375.00 just to get started & $80.00 per mo. I can't afford that. Gas,Grocerys,Cigirettes, Who can afford that? I'm a poor man. I don't know, They say they have a new cable,telephone,&internet coming soon,but they been saying that since Nov 07. Who knows? I guess I'll have to suffer till then. Thanks for all your help Ray. I really apprecate good people like Yall trying to help up simple folks. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!                                                             Dave
e-mail Reply: 6 - 7
Posted: May 4th, 2008, 3:33pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I live in UK, so my solution may not work elsewhere, but when I was using dialup I called the phone company (British Telecom as it was then, now just BT) and asked if the line gain could be increased. It could and my connection improved some. Try it!
e-mail Reply: 7 - 7
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Internet  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules