Speed Startup - Cannot create file... June 26th, 2022, 8:56pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Super Win Software programs    Speed Startup  ›  Speed Startup - Cannot create file...

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Speed Startup - Cannot create file...
Posted: April 29th, 2008, 12:49pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Today I created a new windows user account with limited access in order to avoid for example unwanted changes in registry in the case of meeting dangerous websites.  Starting windows with the new account I got unexpected problems with Speed Startup. I got the following message: "Cannot create file c:\Programme\Speed Startup\SpeedStartup.ini". Obviously using Speed Startup is only possible for adminstrators. Any suggestions?
Posted: April 29th, 2008, 5:25pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

The SpeedStartup.ini file is where Speed Startup keeps its settings.  It must be able to write to it.  I suspect that file or the folder that it is in is set to Read-only and that is why you are getting that error.
e-mail Reply: 1 - 10
Posted: May 2nd, 2008, 11:20am Report to Moderator
Guest User

The file speedstartup.ini is not readonly. Readonly is the folder c:\programme\speedstartup. If you cancel "readonly" this action is accepted. But when you ask for properties again, the folder is readonly again (what else). So I think Speed Startup can only be activated by the administrator.
e-mail Reply: 2 - 10
Posted: May 3rd, 2008, 11:27am Report to Moderator
Guest User

That is normal for Vista (the folder always showing read-only) but once you remove the read-only, it is not read-only even though it shows it as read-only.  
e-mail Reply: 3 - 10
Posted: May 4th, 2008, 9:58am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Sorry, but I think this is not normal for XP (which I am using). I tried and failed.
e-mail Reply: 4 - 10
Posted: May 5th, 2008, 5:04am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I think you misunderstood me.  What I was saying is that it is normal for XP to show folders as read-only when they are not read-only.  It shows the folder as read-only, you uncheck the read-only checkbox, you check the attributes again, and it is read-only again.  That happens to me and to everyone else that I know who has tried that.  That is normal with XP.
e-mail Reply: 5 - 10
Posted: May 7th, 2008, 5:53am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Ok, but as I said I tried and failed. That means I have unchecked the write-only-property, started the computer and got the same message. And: if I start the computer using the admin-version Speed Startup runs without problems. So I need a solution which restricts Speed Startup to the admin-version.
By the way, the checkbox farther down for "Notify of New Replies" does not function anymore. I don't get an e-mail. Is this checkbox only für replies excluding Ray Geide?
e-mail Reply: 6 - 10
Posted: May 7th, 2008, 11:01am Report to Moderator
Guest User

If you tried and failed, then the problem is not that the file or its folder is read-only.
   For some other reason Windows is not allowing Speed Startup to write to that file.  It could be that you have Vista set up to not allow programs to write to files or something like that.  Maybe the problem is that you are not running Speed Startup as an administrator (I am not sure whether not running it as an administrator causes that problem).  That is not Speed Startup's doings, that is Vista's.
   I do not understand what you are saying when you say that you "need a solution which restricts Speed Startup to the admin-version."
e-mail Reply: 7 - 10
Posted: May 10th, 2008, 4:28pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Again: I am working with Windows XP Home, not Vista. And having installed Speed Startup I am not able to work as a second user and not as administrator because Speed Startup has been installed under "all users" (there has been no choice). And working as second user Speed Startup is started like working as administrator and I get the error "cannot create speedstartup.ini....". This file exists, but working as administrator will be overwritten I guess.
e-mail Reply: 8 - 10
Posted: May 12th, 2008, 6:36pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Speed Startup does not have to be run by the administrator and it can be run by a second user and it can be installed under "all users".  That is how everyone else runs it.  None of that has anything to do with why you are getting that error.
   Again, something on your computer is not allowing that file to be created or written to.  You figure out why that is, and you will be able to solve the problem.  I cannot tell you why, because I am not there and this is not anything that anyone else is experiencing.  It is unique to your computer.
e-mail Reply: 9 - 10
Posted: May 16th, 2008, 3:16pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I am giving up. I have just deinstalled Speed Startup.
e-mail Reply: 10 - 10
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Speed Startup  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules