Print Topic

Computer Q&A Board  /  Internet  /  Junk e-mail
Posted by: musen (Guest), March 14th, 2007, 4:18pm
I have stopped many useless e-mails by marking then as junk. So e-mails that I have marked as junk still get to my "Inbox" instead of the "Junk" folder. What can I do to stop this?  8)
Posted by: 112 (Guest), March 15th, 2007, 6:10am; Reply: 1
   When you mark an email as junk, the email address it came from is saved and blocked, not the message itself.  The problem is that many spam emails are sent from fake email addresses that constantly change.  My guess is that it is those type of spam emails that are getting through.
   I used to mark emails as spam too but I soon realized that the time it took to receive emails was getting longer and longer because each email message had to be checked against a longer and longer spam list.  I finally disabled the Junk feature to speed up the receiving of email.
   I use MailWasher (I have the free version which is no longer available) to check my emails before receiving them.
   You could try some of the spam filter services.  They work, but most of them also block valid emails.
Posted by: tomobrien (Guest), March 15th, 2007, 2:08pm; Reply: 2
What I did to solve my junk mail problem was open an internet mail account, hotmail, and use that for my generaic communications. There is an option to put in email addresses that you want to receive mail from and anything and everything else goes to the junk folder. It's a quick sort because mail coming in from any address that is not on your short list automatically goes to the junk folder.

You cruise the junk folder a couple of times a week. If there is a message in there from someone you want to get mail from you move that address to your ok list and then  just M-T the folder.

I'll dump 75 to 100 junk mails a week in one fell swoop.

cheers.
Posted by: 112 (Guest), March 16th, 2007, 7:42am; Reply: 3
   You also miss a lot of valid emails by sending it all into the Junk folder.
   I have people all of the time write me complaining that we did not send their order to them.  I spend several hours a week resending orders because they ended up in the Junk folder and the customer either does not know how to check his Junk folder, forgot to check it, or emptied it out without checking it.
Posted by: tomobrien (Guest), March 18th, 2007, 7:06am; Reply: 4
Although hard to believe I guess that must be true. When I buy something on line I make sure I look for that e-mail in my junk folder.

Most of the stuff that's in the junk folder is the same repetitive stuff anyway. Something different, like an e-mail from Tiger Direct or Travelocity for instance, tends to stand out. Most people have regular e-mail accounts that look like junk mail accounts anyway. It's amazing how unorganized a lot of people are.
Posted by: 112 (Guest), March 19th, 2007, 6:08am; Reply: 5
   I looked in my emails and actually found that you were one of those ones who wrote me after purchasing a product from us and complained that we had not sent you the order.  After my reply saying that we had sent it (and me resending it), you did find it in your Junk folder.
   So as hard as it may be for you to believe, it does happen often.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), March 19th, 2007, 11:01am; Reply: 6
Oh, the dreaded junk mail!!  Here is a stategy I use that works very well.  Go to Google and get a free gmail account and use it for anybody or site that asks for your email and you do not want to really read emails from them.  Then they will go to the spam folder and be deleted automatically.  Then, go to AOL (someone told me they will let you use it even if you do not subscribe for a fee - not sure of that )  But, if they will, they have the greatest email program.  You can set up an "allowed" list or senders.  the only emails you will get are from the addresses on your "allowed" list.  You can then select what to do with all of the other emails.  I have mine set to automatically delete them if they are from an email address not on my allowed list.  Works Great!!!  other email programs may have the same - i am not sure.

Gmail is very good with a HUGE amount of storage.  Their philosophy, as I understand it, is to never have to delete an email.  Due to the amount of storage they offer, it is massive.    They also have an awsome program that allows you to archive by topic and "conversation".  Really cool stuff.
Posted by: 112 (Guest), March 20th, 2007, 9:53am; Reply: 7
   The order was placed on November 8, 2003.  That was only three years ago.

I explained to you in a different thread what happened to RegVac and how to get it back.
Print page generated: October 20th, 2020, 5:09pm