WinRescue XP - Windows Restore Points October 19th, 2021, 3:09am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Super Win Software programs    WinRescue  ›  WinRescue XP - Windows Restore Points

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    WinRescue XP - Windows Restore Points
Posted: January 18th, 2006, 8:58am Report to Moderator
Guest User

No Windows Restore Points are shown in WinRescue XP, but I understand from the Help screens that I must find out where System Restore files are kept and show this path accordingly.

How please do I find out where System Restore files are sited?

I have not done anything to change their whereabouts.

Thanks again!

Posted: January 19th, 2006, 6:26am Report to Moderator
Guest User

WinRescue XP looks for the Restore Points automatically.  You can try to find them yourself too, but if WinRescue XP could not find them, you probably will not be able to either.
   If Windows is not set up to make Restore Points, you may not have any.  That may be why WinRescue XP could not find any.
   The Restore Points are kept on one of your drives in a directory called System Volume Information.  System Volume Information has a subdirectory in it that starts with "_restore{" and then has a bunch of numbers.  The _restore{... directory has subdirectories in it that are rp and a number and these have a subdirectory called snapshot.  The snapshot directory has the registry backup of the Restore Point and that is what WinRescue XP is looking for.
e-mail Reply: 1 - 4
Posted: January 19th, 2006, 10:09am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Many thanks for the information.

I cannot find System Volume Information on my hard drive, even when using 'Find' to check all folders, including hidden files. The odd thing is that Bold dates are shown in System Restore, both for manual restore point entries and the automatic ones made by the system.

As I only have a DELL Recovery and Microsoft Windows XP SP2 Cds, is there any benefit in setting WinRescue XP to back up the entire drive? I am only using 10% of my 80GB hard drive.

Currently I back up Registry, autoexec.nt, config.nt, cmd.exe, ccommand.com, ntldr, nt detect.com and boot.ini in Config 1, with these files again with Print Hood, Application Data, Desktop, Favourites and Net Hood in Config 2.

Many thanks again for your time and advice!
e-mail Reply: 2 - 4
Posted: January 19th, 2006, 2:03pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

There is a setting which hides that folder.  It sounds like you have that set.  That is probably why WinRescue cannot find it.  I am not sure which one it is.  It may be hide protected system files.

I suggest telling WinRescue in the Other Files section which folders are important and having it back up only those folders.  If you back up the entire drive, it would take a lot longer and may run into problems.  I also would not back up Print Hood, Application Data, Desktop, Favourites and Net Hood.
e-mail Reply: 3 - 4
Posted: January 19th, 2006, 2:27pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thanks again for the helpful thoughts Ray!

I will uncheck the items you suggest should not be backed up, and just add some other files I would hate to loose.

I will also try and find the setting which hides protected files so that WinRescue may work as intended.
e-mail Reply: 4 - 4
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    WinRescue  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules