Is Windows Backup in XP? October 19th, 2021, 3:29am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Super Win Software programs    WinRescue  ›  Is Windows Backup in XP?

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Is Windows Backup in XP?
Posted: April 8th, 2007, 12:07pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Does Windows XP have a backup program? I have been unable to find it on my computer.  I also have a question about WinRescue.  I have two operating systems: Windows 98SE and Windows XP SP2. Regardless of which OS I boot, I can access the drive of the other. My question is: If I backup the drive containing Windows 98SE using WinRescue, then format that drive, and finally restore the OS from the backup copy, will the Windows 98SE OS work normally?
n0zo
Posted: April 8th, 2007, 11:48pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Found this by doing a google search:
http://www.tweakxp.com/article36991.aspx
It states as follows:
"Insert your windows XP disc into your PC. Click exit if your installation screen comes up. Now go too your CD drive in *My Computer*. Right-click and select open. Choose VALUE ADD\MSFT\NT BACK-UP FILE. In the *files of type* drop down list be sure that *select all files* is on. Click on the NTBACK-UP.msi file and click okay. Click the finish button and now go over too the start button\ALL PROGRAMS\ACCESSORIES\SYSTEM TOOLS\ and there it is now.. BACK-UP FILES...Great little tool that Microsoft never should have hidden."

Good Luck,
Patrick
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
Posted: April 9th, 2007, 6:15am Report to Moderator
Guest User

WinRescue backs up files and not an image of the drive.  If you are backing up an entire drive, it is best to use software which will backup an image of the drive, like, DriveImage XML or Norton Ghost (there are many more out there).
   From the description of the Windows backup program above, it sounds like it also backs up files and not an image.
   WinRescue may work in the situation that you describe, but it also may not.
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
Posted: April 10th, 2007, 1:38pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thanks for the info.
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    WinRescue  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules