RegVac is freezing up October 19th, 2021, 3:25am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Super Win Software programs    RegVac  ›  RegVac is freezing up

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    RegVac is freezing up
Posted: August 7th, 2006, 10:15am Report to Moderator
Guest User

My RegVac program is freezing up since I updated to the Microsoft Defender spyware program.  Also my McAfee virus program was updated to the 7.0.317 vs.  In McAfee I don't have Firewall, Internet program or parental controls, only virus protection.  I don't know if they are the reason for the non-responsive Reg Vac problem or not.  I went on-line and updated my RegVac vs. but that didn't help.  Is anyone else having a similar problem?
Posted: August 7th, 2006, 4:11pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I am not aware of any problems with any spyware programs and RegVac.
e-mail Reply: 1 - 13
Posted: August 13th, 2006, 8:08pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Ray- I'm having the same problem with Reg Vav freezing up on My Vaio PCG-K23 after the latest McAfee update (includes Quick Clean, Registry Cleaner, Firewall and Site Advisor) Reg Vac freezes up on the Classes Vac when it gets to the  Scanning Associations part. The TypeLib entries part goes OK, but then it always freezes up when it tries to do the Scanning Associations.  I found that it runs normally whenI uninstall McAfee. Same problem returns when McAfee is reinstalled. The new McAfee software told me it could not install due to being incompatible with AdAware SE. I had to uninstall Adaware to get McAfee to install. I suspect it may be a similar issue with RegVac even though it doesn't give any warnings for RegVac. I would much rather use RegVac since the McAfee Registry Cleaner doesn't seem to do very much at all. Could you please investigate this and advise if there is a work-around?
e-mail Reply: 2 - 13
Posted: August 17th, 2006, 5:59am Report to Moderator
Guest User

The computer that has my programming stuff on it is in the repair shop (bad motherboard).  I expect it back in a week or more.  After that I will try to figure out what is happening.
   My guess would be that your spyware program is entering the wrong types of entries in the registry.
e-mail Reply: 3 - 13
Posted: August 17th, 2006, 3:13pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

OK- thanks Ray. Good luck on getting your computer back. I want to continue using Reg Vac, but McAfee is still causing it to freeze up. Sounds like the same isue houseplant was dealing with.
e-mail Reply: 4 - 13
Posted: August 18th, 2006, 7:02am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Oops, I didn't realize that I was dealing with two different people.  Oh well.
   I had McAfee on my new laptop.  Wow, what a pain.  I couldn't use MailWasher with it.  It continually warned me about PUPs in its folder which were actually virus emails which it had previously quarantined and stored in there and the only reason they got that far was because it would not let me delete them in MailWasher.
   It would complain when I gave two emails the same Subject.  I have never had a problem with viruses or spyware but McAfee was giving me warnings all of the time and acted like everything was a possible virus or spyware.  After two days, I uninstalled McAfee.
e-mail Reply: 5 - 13
Posted: August 18th, 2006, 7:51am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I never had any problem with McAfee until this latest update where they bundled together a number of products including firewall, Quick Clean, Site Advisor and Registry Cleaner. Thats when RegVac quit working. I would probably uninstall McAfee like you did, but my subscription is good through August/2007. I tried uninstalling the individual products, but still no joy unless I do a full uninstall. Do you think there may be any possibility of getting the two programs to co-exist?
e-mail Reply: 6 - 13
Posted: August 19th, 2006, 8:28am Report to Moderator
Guest User

This is not a problem with RegVac.  There is nothing I can do to RegVac to stop McAfee from stopping it.  You need to talk to the McAfee people about that.
e-mail Reply: 7 - 13
Posted: August 19th, 2006, 11:26am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Ray- I never implied there was a problem with Reg Vac. The problem is obviously being caused by McAfee. I made that clear in my earlier posts. You know as well as I do that the people at McAfee could care less about something like this. It would be pointless to even contact them. If I were you, I would be more interested in wanting to correct this problem, even if you had to modify a line or two of code. Because of the fact that there are untold numbers of people out there who have McAfee VirusScan on their computers. When these people download the trial version of Reg Vac and find out that it doesn't work, they won't know or care whose fault it is. But they surely will not purchase the registered version of Reg Vac if they see it doesn't work. This could end up being costly for you in the long run if your intent is to sell software. I should probably leave this alone now, but I thought you might want to consider these comments.
e-mail Reply: 8 - 13
Posted: August 19th, 2006, 2:04pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Actually, I had said before that I would try to correct that, that is, if it is what I had suspected before.
   But my previous post was in response to your question if I could get McAfee and RegVac to co-exist.  If McAfee is directly interferring with RegVac, there is nothing that I can do.  There is no line or two of code that I can modify because it is not RegVac that is messing things up.  That was the point that I was trying to make.
   Unfortunately, the little guy can be at the mercy of the big companies.
e-mail Reply: 9 - 13
Posted: August 20th, 2006, 7:38pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

After I posted the first message about RegVac freezing up, I went to the FAQ website that Ray did up for RegVac.  One of the entries said to let it run for an hour.  I tried that and it works!!  It takes it about a half hour to get through the Classes Vac and after that it breezes on through like before.  BUT like I said in my original post I didn't choose to install the McAfee firewall, quick clean, reg cleaner, or site advisor.  I figured that RegVac and A1Click Cleaner was a better product so only got the virus protection when downloading the McAfee update.  I didn't want to duplicate my stuff.  Also I learned from the FAQ's that I don't need to uninstall the old RegVac when I update to the new one.  Thanks Ray.  There, did I earn enough brownie points. ha ha
e-mail Reply: 10 - 13
Posted: August 20th, 2006, 8:25pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

It must be the ver of mcafee your using  I have enterprise 80 and dont have that problem with regvac
e-mail Reply: 11 - 13
Posted: August 21st, 2006, 2:51pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

jccomputer-   The version which is causing us problems is VirusScan vs. 11, build 11.0.209. I considered it pretty much trouble free until the last update when they bundled together several different products. I also have another laptop running McAfee Enterprise 8.0.0 which does not conflict with RegVac.

houseplant- thanks for the update, but I don't think I have the patience to wait from 30 minutes up to an hour for RegVac to struggle through the classes vac. By the way, I'm not positive,  but with this version of McAfee (vs. 11), I don't think there is any way to separate the Registry Cleaner and Quick Cleaner from VirusScan. These are bundled together in the Security Center. I'm pretty sure you will find these products on your computer if you open the security center and navigate the left side menu. I can't say exactly right now since I'm still at work and relying on memory. I do remember if you go to control panel//add/remove programs, and click on McAfee, there are three check boxes which allow you to remove Firewall, VirusScan or Security Center. Checking either VirusScan or Firewall grays out Security Center which is where Quick Clean and Registry Cleaner reside.
e-mail Reply: 12 - 13
Posted: August 21st, 2006, 4:25pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I am glad that you figured it out.  Yes, you have earned many brownie points.
   I will still look into it when I get my computer back.  They told me today that it will not be back until September 1.  Fun.
e-mail Reply: 13 - 13
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    RegVac  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules